Mein.Tolk-Blog

09 Dezember 2005

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time

Mark Haddon
Vintage Contemporaries, 2003
ISBN: 1400077834

The story of a 15-year-old autistic boy, Christopher John Francis Boone, told by himself. Suddenly it just makes so much sense the way they see the world. Like:

And Siobhan says people go on holidays to see new things and relax, but it wouldn't make me relaxed and you can see new things by looking at earth under a microscope or drawing the shape of the solid made when 3 circular rods of equal thickness intersect at the right angles. And I thing that there are so many things just in one house that it would take years to thing about all of them properly. And also, a thing is interesting because of thinking about it and not because of being new.

Now, who of us hasn't had that thought yet. When I show people around in my city or they tell me of things they have seen in my city, I suddenly see so many new things in it that I have never seen before. And I guess that is the way it should be. Maybe it would be good to look at our own lives with a stranger's eyes and see it all new. That gives it a whole new meaning. Not that we need that all the time. But every once in a while is probably not bad...

Available at Amazon in English and Deutsch

Tags: , , ,